June 15, 2024
World

Spring Park

Share

Last Update: February 28, 2023

Written by Brittany Luttrall

| Overview | Property of Spring Park |

1. Overview:

The “Spring Park” School District, whose southern edge at the time was located all along the northern edge of Charlottetown. The west of the villages of Parkdale and Sherwood gave the town its title in 1925. The Spring Park Road, which stretched north from the city to support what was then a rural farming area of 12 acres of properties in the unorganized town of Queens Royalty, constituted the settlement.

In the aftermath of World War II, population expansion and construction demands in Charlottetown caused areas of the city south of Kirkwood Drive to be absorbed into the city. A new Spring Park School was built on Kirkwood Drive in early 1950. It locates where the present Charlottetown Police Department now stands on Kirkwood Drive.

Eden Street, Kirkwood Drive, Colonel Gray Drive, the east financial institution of the North River. Although, the southern edge with West Royalty together across Hermitage Creek. The north end of the University of Prince Edward Island campus and the old railway passageway define broadly the school district. It was done when it was integrated as a village in 1954.

2. Property of Spring Park:

On a public property known as “Spring Park Square,” which also features Spring Park School. A municipal structure is known as “Spring Park Hall”. The fire station holding the “Spring Park Rescue Squad” were changed. University Avenue, Kirkwood Drive, Willow Street, and Eden Street were the boundaries of this estate. From the 1920s to the 1950s, Park Square hosted numerous bigger outdoor concerts, such as fairs, due to its location outside of the city limits.

On April 17, 1958, the community was abolished as part of a municipal merger with Charlottetown. The school was rebuilt in 1964 by a structure on Dunkirk Street due to development demands on the Spring Park School district. It was caused by a flow of families with young children to housing developments in the early 1960s.

The neighborhood, Charlottetown’s first postwar suburb, is characterized by mature trees along peaceful lanes. It includes tiny bungalows intermingled with some bigger properties. Moreover, multiple popular churches, shopping facilities, hotels, schools, and job locations are situated within and close to the region. This is possibly the most convenient Charlottetown community to facilities within easy reach. The Colonel Gray High School was built on the Simmons Estate, which is in front of the city Road just south of the ancient city boundary, in the late 1960s. In late 1960-1970, residential developments such as Holland Park and Skyview were built, followed by Westwood and Mansfield.


Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *