Addington is a beautiful village in London, England. Addingtoon is situated in South London within the London Borough of Croydon. Spring Park is to the south, Coney Hall is to the west, News Addington viiage is to the north, and Selsdon and Forestdale are to the east.It is away from the South of Charing Cross is 8 Kilo-meters and 6.5 Kilo-meters away from south-east of the centre of Croydon.
According to the Domesday Book, in 1086, this area is called first Edintona and then Eddintone. The village was located in the Wallington Hundreds of Surrey County. Edda, a Saxon landowner, is supposed to be the inspiration for the name Addington. Two manors are recorded in Domesday under the names Godric and Osward.
Above the church of St Mary the Blessed Virgin Church and The Cricketers tavern, Addington Place, subsequently known as Addington Farm and today known as Addington Palace, dominates the settlement. The Leigh family lived in the manor home, which was located behind the church. Patricia Knatchbull, 2nd Countess Mountbatten of Burma, is thought to be related from this Leigh line.
West Wickham Parish Church has a popular but erroneous narrative of a royal hunting lodge, where King Henry VIII allegedly wooed Anne Boleyn, whose family owned neighboring Wickham Court. The Anne Boleyn of Wickham Court, on the other hand, was Queen Anne’s aunt.
Barlow Trecothick, a native of Boston, Massachusetts, in the colonial Province of Massachusetts Bay, travelled to London in 1770 and became an MP and Lord Mayor of the City of London. His nephew James Ivers, also of Boston, completed his uncle’s project after he died without successors and had Capability Brown lay out the grounds.
The property was sold, and when Croydon Palace grew too expensive and filthy, the Archbishops of Canterbury purchased the Addington mansion and a portion of the grounds as a country home. Archbishop Benson was the latest Archbishop to utilize it. The Royal School of Church Music had its home at Addington Palace from 1954 to 1996.
Portions of the property containing what is now New Addington, comprising Castle Hill Farm, were transferred to John Cator of Beckenham Place in 1805. In an 1825 Private Act of Parliament, the land is listed as part of the Cator properties, allowing the Cators to sell it while John Barwell Cator was relocating the major estate holdings to Woodbastwick in Norfolk.
People in Addington experienced significant changes in their way of life during the twentieth century as a result of technical advancements and population development in the region. Addington was in the state of Surrey at the turn of the century, which had developed urban and rural districts to provide facilities tailored to the needs of the various populations.
When Croydon Rural District was abolished in 1915, the parish of Addington was shifted to Godstone Rural District. In 1925, the parish of Addington was incorporated into the County Borough of Croydon. Since 1965, the county borough has been a part of the London Borough of Croydon, which is located within the densely urbanized Greater London area, ending the county’s 900-year governance.
From the 1930s ahead, New Addington was built to the south of the current village. Despite its location in Greater London, Addington still contains some historic houses and structures, and despite some very contemporary construction, the village ambiance remains preserved in the twenty-first century. A blacksmith’s forge, built in 1740, now specializes in beautiful ironwork. The hunt used to convene outside The Cricketers, which has now returned to its original identity following a brief rebranding. The village’s founder store and post office has been converted into a private residence. The village’s Anglican Church, St Mary’s Church, is located in Addington. It is linked to the 19th-century Archbishops of Canterbury, who resided at adjacent Addington Palace.